Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Burlap Christmas Stockings

Amongst the list of things I want to make for myself for this holiday season; my friend asked me to make her and her family some stockings out of burlap.  Of course I said yes... now I just needed to think really hard about how I was going to make them!  I have made stockings before... not that great , but I have never made a stocking out of burlap before so to make it for someone else was a little unnerving.  But, as it turns out there are bunches of tutorials out there! Gosh, how I love Pinterest!  



My firend's gorgeous mantel displaying the stocking I made for her.  I think they are gorgeous with her beautiful Christmas decoaration.



And now for the first time on my blog I am going to try and walk you through making one like I did. Please bear with me I have never done this before, but I really want to start sharing crafts and the How Tos!

Materials:

1/2 yard Burlap
1/4 yard of cotton Plaid (or choice of fabric)
1 yard lightweight interfacing

Here is the pattern template

I started with burlap, a lightweight interfacing.   I cut two pieces of  the interfacing in opposite directions from pattern.




I then fused the interfacing onto the burlap.  Cut out two pieces of Burlap leaving a seam allowance. (You’ll be sewing along the edge of the interfacing.) You should have two pieces that look like this:


The next thing is to STOP NOW if you want to monogram.  Otherwise, once you’ve monogrammed/embellished/whatever your stocking, put burlap sides together. Sew leaving a seam allowance.  Turn inside out. Press Burlap stocking now using a cloth between iron and stocking. It should look like a burlap stocking now! 





Now is the time to add your cuff if you like.  For the cuff you need to cut a 11” x 14” section from fabric for cuff.  Or double the width of your finished stocking and add for seam allowance when you sew the short sides together. I added about 3/4" to 1".  Add interfacing to one half of the fabric and fold down. Note: (Now would be a good time to monogram or embellish cuff before sewing along short sides). Sew along short sides.



This should make a tube that looks like this:



 
Place cuff – right sides out into stocking. Pin to top edge of stocking with unfinished edge matching top of stocking. Sew these two together at top and press seams open. 


Pull cuff out, up, and over top edge of stocking. Press with iron using a cloth between your stocking and the iron. 



Voila! You just made a Christmas stocking to be proud of. 


No comments:

Post a Comment